The library provides a number of services to help students, faculty, and staff use information effectively for research goals and lifelong learning.
Librarians are available to provide classes with sessions on Library resources, online databases, research skills, and specific collections. Each session is custom made to support the goals and assignments of the course and can include instruction, demonstration, and hands-on work sessions or activities. Some aspects of a session may include:
- Library orientation
- Overview of the catalog
- Overview of the library website and tools
- Good research skills and tips
- Basic information literacy skills
- Primary versus secondary resources
- Differences between scholarly and popular sources
- Introduction to specific collections (i.e. literary criticism items)
- Online databases
- General overview
- Specific databases (i.e. ARTstor or Westlaw)
- Citation skills
- Learning Noodlebib
- Website evaluation
- Information evaluation
- Hands-on work session with a librarian
All of these are important parts of the research process but not all can be fit into one 50 minute session. Please work with the librarian teaching your class to design a class that will provide the information needed to student without overwhelming them.
Library instruction gives your students the research skills they need to succeed in your class. This instruction can vary to include:
- A full session (45 minutes) covering a variety of research sources and strategies in our classroom or yours targeted specifically to your content and assignments for the best results.
- A "Bib lite" - a brief session in your classroom on a particular database or research tool.
- Bring your class into the library to allow your students class time to research with the help of our library staff.
- Embeded librarians (see details below)
Use the "Online Request Form" button below to submit a request for an library instruction session for your course. Please submit your request and a copy of your assignment at least two weeks in advance to ensure the availability of a librarian and preparation of materials. Once submitted, a librarian will contact you to confirm the time and content of your session. All requests are tentative until confirmed by a librarian
. If you have further questions, or do not receive a confirmation within 7 days, please call 847-543-2462 (extension 2462 from a campus phone).