Getting Your Library Card
Who Needs a Card?
Current CLC students and Staff with a CLC photo ID card do not need to apply for a library card. Just bring your CLC photo ID card to the circulation desk at the library and our staff will activate your CLC ID card to work as a library card. All other community residents need to apply for a card in order to check out materials from the library. CLC Online students who can't come to campus or have not received their CLC ID card can apply for a library card online. See details below.
Who is Eligible?
Eligibility for a library card includes the following: College of Lake County students, Lake County residents, including district high school students with a valid high school I.D., and persons employed in Lake County.
What do I Need Before I Can Apply?
- Students: Bring a photo ID (like a driver's license or CLC student ID card). You will be asked to confirm that your current address and phone number match the information in our system. Tip: Bring your CLC ID card to the circulation desk for the FASTEST activation of your library account.
- CLC Faculty and Staff: Bring your CLC ID badge.
- Community Residents: Bring a picture I.D., preferably Driver’s License with current address. If address on your photo identification is not current, please bring a utility bill, piece of mail, or voter's registration card.
- Non-Resident Persons Employed in Lake County: Non-Residents who are currently employed in lake county are eligible for a library card. Bring 2 forms of identification which include a photo ID (driver's license, employee ID, passport) and verification of Lake County employment (pay stub, a contract, or other document). At least one of these forms of identification need to show a current home address.
- Lake County High School Students: Bring verification of Lake County address (driver's license, piece of mail, passport) and your High School picture ID.
Where Do I Apply?
Cards are available at the Circulation Desk located on the first floor of the LRC at the Grayslake campus, the testing center at Lakeshore campus, and the library at the Southlake campus. The Circulation Staff will be happy to assist you in applying for a card. Currently registered CLC online students can apply for a card online. Restrictions apply. See the online application form
Did You Know?
- Library cards are also used as identification cards for campus events
- Faculty and staff ID cards can be used in place of library cards to check out items
- The new student and staff ID cards can also be used in place of library cards
- Any resident of Lake County is eligible for a library card